3 Shows and 1 Book to Make Every Day Feel like Halloween

Tuesday, June 2, 2020



I am absolutely obsessed with Halloween. For as long as I can remember I've been in love with everything spooky - from movies to books to urban legends to cryptids - I want it all. It's my favorite holiday, and though I don't dress up anymore and live too far out in the country to give out candy, Halloween makes me happy. The weather, the smells, the marathons on TCM, the opening up of costume stores in otherwise abandoned buildings, all feel me with a sense of warmth. This list for the like-minded people who wish everyday was Halloween!

Slight spoilers ahead!

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Netflix

I grew up on Sabrina the Teenage witch, so when I heard they were doing a new, grittier take on it I was immediately sold. We follow Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina as she juggles with her mortal friends and boyfriend, Harvey Kinkle (Ronan Lynch), with signing her soul over to Satan, cannibalistic rituals, and two overbearing Aunts who may know more about her parents' mysterious death than they let on. It is definitely not a show for kids. There's orgies and gore and demons and some seriously scary scenes, but I found it perfect. The town of Westbridge is so steeped in history and lore I feel like I could plan a trip there, and I would! CAOS is Riverdale but better.


Marianne - Netflix

I'm shocked that the French show "Marianne" isn't talked about more. Set in the fictional seaside town of Elden, the show has spooks galore and just some amazing storytelling. The main character, a bestselling novelist by the name of Emma Larsimon, is one of my favorite characters on television right now. At turns charming and plain unlikeable, she is complex, driven, not afraid to say she's scared, and most of all, she's female. Her sort of character is one that is often relegated to men, and it's a breath of fresh air. She brings to mind a more lighthearted Lisbeth Salander, who is one of my all time favorite heroines. 

We follow Emma as she returns to her hometown after announcing she's done writing horror, and things only get scarier from there. The main antagonist in her books, a witch called Marianne, turns out to be more than just a figment of her imagination, as she comes to terms with her past, and the fact that she might be nothing more than a pawn. I really don't do it justice at all, so please check it out!


Shutter (2004) - Netflix

Yes, there is an American remake, and no, don't watch it. As a horror connoisseur I feel like I've seen it all but I can honestly say this movie has one of the best and most interesting twists I've ever seen. And at times I felt it could've been a bit shorter, by the end it feels completely worth it so stick with it!

"Shutter" is a simple tale steeped in Thai folklore. The main characters are Jane and Tun, a young couple who make a terrible mistake - after a night of drinking and celebrating they hit a young woman. They didn't see here, and Tun urges Jane to drive off, leaving her to die on the road. Soon, Tun, a photographer, starts seeing strange shapes in his work, and Jane fears it's the ghost of the young woman they killed. Obviously I'm not going to say much more as I don't want to spoil it, but it is a great film, a favorite of mine.


The Silent Companions - Laura Purcell

This was my favorite book of 2019 and I read it in about two days. At the center of this tale is The Bridge, a house the heroine, Elsie Bainbridge, has inherited from her husband. It's downright Gothic, with locked doors that open on their own, a skeleton crew of staff that see things, and the nearest village is practically abandoned, and those who remain are terrified of The Bridge. Elsie, is mostly left to herself at the old house except for a cousin of her husband's who acts as a sort of companion. Soon, she starts hearing strange scratching at night, and discovers that one of the previous occupants was a rumored witch. As Elsie explores more she finds a sort of attic that contains much of the past - foreboding diaries, and five strange wood cut-outs of people - that almost seem alive.

It is so inventive and clever and one of a kind that I'm actually jealous. Laura Purcell has become an author that I actively check for to see what she's up to next.


I hope you enjoyed this post and check out some of my recommendations! What are some books and movies you use to get you in a Halloween mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS