Book Review: Hall of Smoke by H.M. Long

Sunday, March 28, 2021



Hall of Smoke by H.M. Long
Length: 432 Pages
Genres: High Fantasy
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

"'Eang, Eang,' I murmured, willing my words to be heard across distance, time and division between worlds. 'The Brave, the Vengeful, the Swift and the Watchful...'"

Trigger Warnings in this book for Gore and Violence

I have only one question: WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT HALL OF SMOKE!

H.M. Long's Hall of Smoke was on my list of Most Anticipated Books of 2021 and I can report with happiness that it greatly exceeded my expectations. It was tense, moving, exciting, evocative and most importantly, so much fun. 

Hessa is an Eangi, a group of specially chosen Priests and Priestesses of the Goddess of War, Eang. She burns with magical fire, a power that makes her stronger and faster, heals minor wounds, and on occasion, boils your enemy's eyes in their head. The titular Hall of Smoke, which is not only a temple to their Goddess but the place where they eat and sleep together, is all she's known since she was a child. When the book opens, she's been banished from her people and has taken the "Climb of Atonement" for failing to carry out an order given to her from Eang herself. She hopes that she will be forgiven, but if she's not, it could mean ostracization...or death. Her fears are put to the side when she hears the tell-tale sound of the war horn from her village, and her life is turned dramatically upside down. She is thrust into a war between her people, the Algatt, the eclipsing empire of Arpa, and the Divine.
Soon, she realizes that everyone has secrets, including the Gods, only theirs are much more dangerous.

I devoured this book. Hessa is one of my new favorite heroines and I adored her strength, her wits, and that fiery personality. The worldbuilding was absolutely incredible, and for someone who has been obsessed with mythology since I was very young, it was as addictive as candy. Even though Hall of Smoke clocks in at 432 pages, I wished it was even longer just so I could spend more time in the world of Eang and Hessa and Omaskat and Nisien.

Now I'm obsessed and the only thing I can think about is that a sequel is coming 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS