April 2021 ❤️🌱

Friday, April 23, 2021


April was a tough month for me. It started off really well, with my 25th birthday on the 7th (Aries unite), and had such a lovely time. I received so many thoughtful gifts and a cake from Duff Goldman, which made my little foodie heart swell up with excitement. My grandfather had been ill for a little, after hurting his back lifting tile, which eventually turned to something worse, with his oxygen dropping dangerously low. He was put into the hospital and we later found out he had really serious problems with his heart. Then he was put into hospice. It was so out of the blue I could hardly wrap my mind around it. One minute he was the life of the party, dancing with every woman he could at his local bar (where he had become some of a celebrity), and the next minute we're being told he had a heart attack and if he had another...it would be his last. 

Him and my Grandmother live four hours away from us, and right after my birthday we decided to head up there, me, my sister, and my father. My father got to visit him, and we were supposed to visit him the day after. Unfortunately, we never got to. I wish that I could have told him I loved him once more, could have told him goodbye, could have told him how much we'll all miss him. I'm trying hard to think of all the good things, the silly moments we had, instead of all the things I wish I could change. 

RIP Lowell Ogle. You were one of a kind.

If any of you are interested, there is a GoFundMe set up in order to help my Grandma pay for his memorial. Any amount, even a dollar, is greatly appreciated.

(I'll continue the rest of the post as it was written originally, as a part of a new thing where I'll talk about movies, tv, music and products I've liked each month. Hope you enjoy.)


TV and Movies:

The Serpent (Netflix) - I have to admit that I probably never would have watched this, maybe never have even heard of it, if it wasn't for my sister, who just so happens to have an obsession serial killers (that sounds bad) and the 70's. The Serpent, an eight-part limited series, tells the sometimes too shocking to be true story of conman, thief, and serial killer Charles Sobhraj. He preyed mostly on tourists along the "Hippie Trail" in South Asia, and would steal their money, goods, and identities. Charles is played terrifically by French actor Tahar Rahim, and Jenna Coleman of Victoria fame takes a good turn as his lover and cohort Monique.

The Nevers (HBO) - I've been so excited for this, and even though it was originally a product of the reprehensible Joss Whedon, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt since it's now under a new, female showrunner. Set in a alt-Victorian world, where some people are "touched", aka have powers, like seeing ripples of the future, or controlling fire. We follow Amalia True, the aforementioned prognosticator, and sidekick Penance Adair, as they try to create a safe haven for the touched in a world that wants to see them gone. Throw in steampunk inventions, beautiful dresses, and cheesy fight scenes and you've got a recipe for a great Sunday night.

The Irregulars (Netflix) - Okay, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. But something about it is so charming that I simply couldn't help it. A fantasy take on 221B Baker Street's "regulars", street urchins who traditionally do Sherlock's bidding, these kids are foul-mouthed, crime prone, and really, really entertaining. The main character, Bea, is portrayed by Thaddea Graham, who I spotted originally in another Netflix production, The Letter for the King, and she stands out here just as much as did there. She's definitely one to watch!


Who I've Been Watching:

Tasting History with Max Miller - I absolutely love to cook (baking's more of a challenge), and combine that with my love for history and you've got one of my favorite Youtube channels: Tasting History with Max Miller! He has a sparkling, infectiously funny wit that makes all that history talk seem like shooting the breeze with a BFF, and not to mention, makes seriously cool food. He has recently quit his day job to devote his time fully to Youtube - go give him a follow and some support!

Jordaline Reads - I don't read horror that often, though it's one of my favorite movie genres, but I'm addicted to watching Jordaline, who has a whole channel devoted to reading and reviewing horror! Her personality, friendly and laugh-out-loud funny, puts me at ease, and really makes me want to read every book she recommends!


Bookmark by Annya Marttinen


Products I'm Loving: 

Warm Honey Scrub from Naked by Nature Skincare - I got this for my mom for her birthday, and I of course had to test it out myself! Naked by Nature Skincare is a small-batch, cruelty-free, Black owned brand, and their stuff is just amazing. If you're looking for something natural for sensitive skin, then go and give them a browse!

Bookmark from Annya Marttinen - I got an adorable bookmark for my birthday from Canadian artist Annya Marttinen. I just love her style and the subjects she chooses - they're so warm and comfy. Take a look at her store, she's got stickers, prints, and more!


2021 Asian Readathon:

One of my favorite Booktuber's, Read with Cindy, is going to be hosting the 2021 Asian Readathon in May! I'm going to be taking part and I'd love it if others did, too. For information on the rules, the giveaways, and more, watch this video by Cindy, and follow them on twitter!


Ways to Help:

Navajo and Hopi Families COVID-19 Relief Fund

Stop AAPI Hate

Justice for Daunte Wright

Black Lives Matter

A Heart for Coralys

Help Nafiah Get Justice (Warning! Video of the acid attack and photo of her injuries)

Help Sameer Get Home

Peace and Healing for Darnella

Help Inuit Save Our Future

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS