Book Review: The Wolf of Oren-yaro by K.S. Villoso

Tuesday, May 25, 2021



The Wolf of Oren-yaro by K.S. Villoso
Length: 496 Pages
Genres: Fantasy
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

"They called me the Bitch Queen, the she-wolf, because I murdered a man and exiled my king the night before they crowned me."

Trigger Warnings in this book for Violence, Torture, Gore, Racism, Xenophobia, and Threats of Rape

Guys, I'm seriously thwacking myself over the head for not picking this up sooner. Ever since I first spied that powerful cover and saw that this series was called The Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, I've been meaning to get around to it, but like with many (many) things in my life, I got side-tracked. Enter the Asian Readathon, which gave me the perfect incentive for trying out this book! 

Queen Talyien is so stranger to hardship. Born during a civil war which nearly tore her country apart, her betrothal to her enemy's heir, Lord Rayyel, is the way to fabled peace her people have wanted for so long. However, two years into their marriage, Rayyel walks away, without a word, without a Crown, and without their son, Prince Thanh. Talyien rules as the one and only Queen of Jin-Sayeng, and she does it with an iron fist. When word comes that her husband, now gone for five years, wishes to meet with her in the bustling and dangerous city of Anzhao, she jumps at the opportunity to unite her Kingdom, and to make amends with man she has always loved.

Unfortunately for her, there are more nefarious minds at work, and an assassination attempt leaves her separated from her guards, her most trusted advisor dead, and her husband missing. Thrust into the underbelly of a seedy and thankless city, Talyien makes few friends and many enemies, and lets a few heads roll along the way.

I absolutely adored Queen Talyien, who was both tough and intelligent, yet incredibly naïve, with a girl's heart still hidden beneath her tough exterior. To me, first person POV is the hardest to get right, and Villoso does it with such ease, with such sincerity, that I really believed I was talking to the Bitch Queen herself throughout the book. I also loved seeing a fantasy world not inspired by Western culture. K.S. Villoso is Filipina herself, and the world of The Chronicles of the Bitch Queen is based on The Philippines pre-Colonization. If you love fantasy, with a healthy does of blood, political intrigue, and a badass heroine, run -- don't walk -- to your nearest bookstore to buy The Wolf of Oren-yaro!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS