Book Review: Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney

Friday, October 1, 2021




Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney

Length: 295 Pages
Genres: Mystery, Thriller
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Trigger Warnings in this book for Nefarious Goings on Typical of a Mystery/Thriller, Cheating, Mentions of Animal Neglect

"Can a weekend away save a marriage?"

Alice Feeney has been on my radar for a while now, but when I want to pick something up I'm usually more drawn to Fantasy and Historical Fiction. However, her newest novel, Rock Paper Scissors, was an option for my September Book of the Month, and I couldn't resist. I mean, a mystery set in snowy Scotland, inside a supposedly cursed chapel, sounded too good to pass up! Happily, I can say that Feeney has made a loyal fan out of me!

Amelia and Adam are at the end of their marriage. He spends most of his time adapting novels into screenplays, is glued to his phone 24/7 and suffers from prosopagnosia, which leaves him face-blind and unable to recognize even those he holds dear. She prefers dogs to people and works at a rescue and lost both of her parents to a car accident before she was even born. They think they know everything about each other -- but do they really? A trip to Scotland, won by Amelia in a raffle, seems the perfect antidote to their marital problems. 

Told in interchanging chapters from Amelia's POV, Adam's, the mysterious Robin, who lives in a thatched cottage outside Blackwater Chapel, and anniversary letters written from wife to husband every year, this is a tightly plotted thriller that will have you guessing until the very end. Alice Feeney is one of the best mystery writers I've ever read, and this book is so original and a breath of fresh air for the genre! 

It was exactly what I was wanting: something atmospheric and gripping, perfect for the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS