October 2021 🎃

Thursday, October 28, 2021


Hello, it's been a while since I've made one of these posts! Honestly, life has just been boring for me, so I haven't had much to write about. October has breathed new life into me, though! I have seasonal depression, but for me it's the other way around -- I don't start to feel truly alive until Fall. 

This holiday season, I've made it my goal to watch as many scary movies as possible, and to read as many spooky books! I also had the amazing opportunity to go an event at a park near me. It is the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site, and I've been going there since I was an infant! That is probably where my love of history was born and nourished. The event took place at night, and with flashlights and paper lanterns lighting the way, we were taken to meet spirits, all telling a tale interwoven with the history of the site. If you're in the area I highly recommend visiting!

What tricks and treats have you gotten up to this month? Please let me know!





TV and Movies:

Midnight Mass (Netflix) - All my life I've been obsessed with vampires. Not only the bloody flicks, but the mythology and folklore surrounding them. It is absolutely fascinating to me how many places have a vampire myth, in fact it is one of the most widespread superstitions the world over. As such, vampires can sometimes be boring, if you don't inject a bit of new blood. Midnight Mass, written by Mike Flanagan of The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor fame, has created something wholly original, moving, and scary in his newest series. It is my favorite series of late, and I highly recommend it for this spooky season! Just be warned, like all of Flanagan's other series, it covers some very deep and sometimes dark topics, and comes with a bittersweet ending.

House of Flying Daggers (Amazon Prime) - I've been meaning to watch this film in its entirety forever after catching the end of it on TV years ago. I (naturally) fell in love with the leading man of the film, Takeshi Kaneshiro, and of course the delicate Ziyi Zhang is wonderful as always! A beautiful movie perfect for lovers of tragic romance, set during the Tang Dynasty in China. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out!

The Last Duel - As soon as I heard about The Last Duel, Ridley Scott's newest film, I knew I'd have to see it. Anytime a historical film comes to theatres I try and catch it, as it is a rare treat! The Last Duel is based on the true story of Lady Marguerite de Carrouges, who in 1386 France, accused her husband's friend-cum-enemy Jacques Le Gris of raping her. To save his own reputation, her husband Jean challenges Jacques to a duel to the death. I absolutely loved the format of this film (which I won't spoil here!) and while I'm not a fan of Matt Damon or Ben Affleck, I like Adam Driver and love Jodie Comer, who is the obvious standout. It is tense, moving, and ultimately satisfying, filled with beautiful landscapes and clothing, a win for any historical lovers like me!

As a note, I would caution that the film does contain two rather graphic scenes of rape. Please be aware of this before you watch it!


Who I've Been Watching:

Watcher (Youtube) - As any self-respecting cryptid and haunted house lover would be, I'm obsessed with Buzzfeed Unsolved, and the two hilarious hosts, Shane Madej and Ryan Bergara! Call me slow on the uptake, but I just discovered the have their own channel now, along with Steven Lim, where they read submitted scary stories around a fire while getting progressively drunk, have a history based puppet show, and many other fun and scary offerings! A sure cure for your melancholy days!


Products I've Been Loving: 

Storybook Candle Co. - Even though I'm unable to burn candles in my room because I own a cockatiel, and birds are extremely sensitive to smells and smoke, I love putting them around the rest of the house. Storybook Candle Co. is a one woman show, and I love seeing what new collections she has every season! They not only last forever, but put out an amazing amount of scent and adorable to boot! Make sure you buy them before they sell out, as they're always going quick. As you can see from the photo above, I chose Autumn Reading and Sleepy Hollow, which both smell delicious.


Ways to Help:

Navajo and Hopi Families COVID-19 Relief Fund

Stop AAPI Hate

Black Lives Matter

Help Inuit Save Our Future

Aid India's COVID Relief Fund

Edith Wilkin's Street Children Foundation, India

Donate to Palestine

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS