Book Review: The Midnight Girls by Alicia Jasinska

Sunday, January 9, 2022



The Midnight Girls by Alicia Jasinska
Length: 338 Pages
Genres: YA Fantasy, YA Romance
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Trigger Warnings in this book for Violence and Blood


"The first is my Bright Morning,

the second my Red Sun.

Lastly rides my dearest,

my darkest, my Black Midnight."


I was recommended this amazing Sapphic monster romance by my sister, Abby, who got an early copy of this and loved it! I have said previously that YA books and I don't seem to mix (unless it's the Folk of the Air series by Holly Black!), however I'm beginning to think I just haven't found the right ones! Happily, I can report that I absolutely loved this one.

In Poland-inspired Lechija, three witches are at war over a prince's heart. The eldest is Black Jaga, who lives in the Midnight forest where it is forever night, the middle, Red Jaga, who resides in the Midday Forest, and finally, White Jaga, whose forest is called the Morning forest. Each is most powerful at their designated time, and so are the servants they take. Marynka and Beata are known as Midday and Morning respectively, and have been raised together, trained from the moment they were taken to be the perfect monsters, complete with sharpened iron teeth and long claws (well, for Beata). Their only task is to get hearts for their "Grandmothers". Unfortunately, Zosia, called Midnight, is much better at it. Quick, efficient, and otherwise perfect, they have never seen her, but she's all Marynka can think about.

When Marynka and Beata decide to team up to take the pure heart of Prince Józef, they unknowingly travel with their nemesis. Marynka is drawn to the coldly beautiful Zosia, with her silver hair and midnight-blue eyes and Zosia feels the same -- until she discovers who Marynka really is. Marynka is determined to win this time, even when she discovers that Zosia has been taking the hearts for herself in the hopes of escaping Black Jaga. 

What ensues is a mad-cap adventure to see who can get to the Prince first, full of gorgeous descriptions of Lechija during Karnawał, a time where people don colorful disguises and attend breathtaking balls, magic, and a wonderfully slow-burn romance between enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS