Book Review: Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson

Friday, August 12, 2022



Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson
Length: 336 Pages
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

A special thanks to NetGalley and Jove Books for providing me with an ARC of this book!

Trigger Warnings in this book for Divorce, Parental Abuse (Psychological), Mention of Suicide, and Parental Death

Ahhh! I absolutely adored this book and I can't tell you how glad I am that I requested it. Usually, contemporary romances are a true hit or miss with me (most of the humor comes across more cringey than cute), but I can say undoubtedly that this is one of the best I've ever read (and it actually made me laugh out loud!)

Phoebe Walsh is obsessed with true crime (it's even the focus of her dissertation), has an ungodly amount of 90's movies graphic t-shirts, and a chip on her shoulder. After the death of her father, who she hadn't seen in years after a messy divorce ended up with her staying with her mom, she is back in her hometown in Florida, ready to sell his house and get out as soon as possible. Her brother Conner is there to help, but they never got to spend much time together, seeing as his parent of choice was their dad. But Conner has an infectious sort of personality, a big kid with a love for Crash Bandicoot and Mountain Dew. And now, he needs help with one of the most important moments of his life--proposing to his longtime girlfriend, Shani. Phoebe isn't sure true love exists, but she's not going to let him down.

To keep her busy (and to procrastinate about finishing her dissertation), Phoebe is keeping an eye on her new neighbor, Sam, who has a soundproof garage and nocturnal activities--could he be a serial killer? Or is he something even more dangerous, a man who might have captured Phoebe's heart?

Phoebe was so relatable to me. As a woman who came from a home similar to hers, I struggle with the exact same issues as she does: opening myself up, being vulnerable, and admitting that sometimes I do need an extra bit of help. I loved seeing someone like us find love with such a wonderful guy, who was funny and cute and wonderful for her, and it really warmed my heart. I also really liked the secondary characters, like Conner and Shani, and Phoebe's childhood bestfriend, Alison.

This book is perfect for the broken girls who still want a bit of romance, those who love true crime, and might I mention there is a cat? Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS